May 2020 Commencement
Mountaineer Graduation Day
On Saturday, May 16, Mountaineer Nation will gather – virtually – to celebrate May 2020 graduates and all of their achievements. The virtual ceremony begins at 11 a.m. EST on May 16 at wvu.stageclip.com and will be closed captioned. Everyone's invited: graduates, families, current and future students, alumni, faculty, staff and friends of the University.
Mountaineer Graduation Day is the first of two occasions honoring May 2020 graduates. The second will be a special ceremony December 19 when we'll welcome May grads back to the WVU Coliseum for an unforgettable, in-person celebration. The ceremony for May graduates will be separate from the annual event for August and December graduates.
Please send an email to email@example.com if you have questions.
How to Participate
To prepare for Mountaineer Graduation Day, upload your personal content to be shared after the virtual ceremony. You should have received an email from the University's partner, StageClip, outlining how you can upload one of the following:
- 10-second video
- Photo with text message
Be sure to submit your content before the deadline of May 9, 2020.
No matter where you are, you will be able to watch online, while sharing photos and videos of celebrations with your family and friends through social media using #WVUgrad. If you have your regalia, we encourage you to wear it and ‘turn the tassel’ as President Gee confers your degree. If you were unable to receive your regalia in time, don’t worry. We will have a custom Snapchat filter so you can show your Mountaineer pride!
Please continue to monitor your MIX email account for further updates regarding interactive ways to participate. You’ll receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with detailed information and important deadlines.
For additional details on how your friends and family can participate, visit the WVU Commencement page.
Graduation Application and Process
All students who intend to graduate in Spring/May 2020 were asked to complete their graduation application and steps for Electronic Thesis and Dissertation, if applicable, by the application deadline (March 6, 2020). For additional details about application deadlines visit: registrar.wvu.edu/graduation-diploma.
- Students who have successfully defended, but are still awaiting ETD submission and/or acceptance are still eligible to walk.
- IMPORTANT Note for Previous Graduation Applicants: Students must apply during the term they intend to graduate. Those who have applied for previous graduation cycles (e.g., August 2019, December 2019, etc.) must reapply and resubmit the online graduation application for May 2020. Previous graduation applications are no longer valid.
A note about regalia:
You may wish to keep your regalia if you plan to participate in the virtual celebration in May and/or the ceremony in December. You'll have opportunities to interact via social media during the virtual ceremony, so you may want to wear your regalia to post photos, videos, etc. We also hope that you are able to participate in the December ceremony at the Coliseum.
If you ordered regalia from Herff Jones with a ship-to-store option, please reroute your order to your home address immediately using this link: www.herffjones.com/HomeDelivery. Herff Jones will mail your order to your home address at no additional cost.
Please visit the WVU May Commencement page for more information.
Reminders about regalia:
- BS in Public Health: salmon tassel
- BS in Health Services Management & Leadership: forest green tassel
- MHA: forest green tassel, forest green hood
- MPH (Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Health Policy, Occupational & Environmental Health Sciences, Social & Behavioral Sciences): salmon tassel, salmon hood
- MS in Biostatistics: golden yellow tassel, golden yellow hood
- PhD Public Health Sciences (Epidemiology, Occupational & Environmental Health Sciences, Social & Behavioral Sciences): blue tassel, blue hood
To order regalia, please contact the Health Sciences Center Bookstore and speak with Chuck Bowers, store manager: 304-293-4849.
Regarding Graduation Honor Cords: Distribution will occur ahead of the in-person ceremony.
Contact Leah Adkins in the School of Public Health Academic and Student Affairs Office.
DISCLAIMER: Registration to participate in May Commencement is not a record of degrees awarded. Names listed in the May Commencement program are taken from applications for graduation made to WVU’s Office of the University Registrar for May graduation. Registration for graduation does not ensure that graduate names appear in the program and participation in Commencement exercises does not constitute graduation from West Virginia University.