The School of Public Health May 2021 Commencement ceremony will be:
Sunday, May 16, 2021
Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium
Watch the ceremony here.
Watch this Commencement Q&A with Senior Program Coordinator Leah Adkins for information about where to park and gather, what to wear, guest tickets and more.
- May, August and December 2020 graduates are invited to participate with the May 2021 graduates.
- Masks and social distancing will be required.
- Ceremonies will proceed rain or shine (with the exception of lightning or other weather emergencies). Ponchos will be provided to graduates upon arrival at the stadium to wear over caps and gowns if rain is expected to ensure a uniform look for all graduates.
- Graduates are required to wear caps and gowns.
- Tickets ARE REQUIRED. Each graduate will have the opportunity to claim SEVEN (7) tickets - ONE for themselves and SIX (6) to share with their guests. Claim tickets for the ceremony.
- WVU has contracted with GradImages to provide quality graduation photos of each student. Proofs will be emailed to the student within 48 hours of the ceremony.
- All graduates must register to participate in the ceremony by Sunday, May 9 at 6:00 p.m. Only those registered will be permitted inside the stadium.
- Registration to participate in Commencement exercises is separate from the graduation application.
- Student should monitor their MIX email account and HSC websites for registration information and instructions.
- Students who have successfully defended but are still awaiting ETD submission and/or acceptance are still eligible to walk.
- To provide a safer environment for guests and to ease entry into event venues, a Clear Bag Policy has been implemented for all commencement ceremonies.
How do I register to walk in the ceremony?
All graduates must register to walk in the ceremony by Sunday, May 9 at 6:00 p.m. Only those registered will be permitted inside the stadium. Class of 2020 graduates will not need to apply to graduate again, but they still need to register to walk. May 2021 graduates must first apply to graduate through the Office of the University Registrar in addition to registering to walk in the ceremony.
The School of Public Health Office of Student Services will reach out via email to all students who apply for graduation shortly after the application closes. Instructions on how to register for the ceremony will also be provided in that email.
How do I order regalia and what color?
Official WVU regalia can be purchased online from Herff Jones. The last day to order official WVU regalia online from Herff Jones is Sunday, April 18. Orders placed after this date may incur additional fees. Please purchase all caps, gowns, tassels and hoods prior to the day of your ceremony as no regalia will be sold at the venue. Regalia must be worn in order to participate.
Please remember when ordering your regalia:
- BS in Public Health: salmon tassel
- BS in Health Services Management & Leadership: forest green tassel
- MHA: forest green tassel, forest green hood
- MPH (Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Health Policy, Occupational & Environmental Health Sciences, Social & Behavioral Sciences): salmon tassel, salmon hood
- MS in Biostatistics: golden yellow tassel, golden yellow hood
- PhD Public Health Sciences (Epidemiology, Occupational & Environmental Health Sciences, Social & Behavioral Sciences): blue tassel, blue hood
The School of Public Health will distribute honor cords prior to the ceremony for May 2021 graduates. If Class of 2020 graduates received honor cords or medallions, please remember to bring them with you to the ceremony. There will not be any supplied at the venue.
Do guests need a ticket?
Yes, each guest must have a ticket to attend Commencement ceremonies. Beginning April 20, each graduate will have the opportunity to claim SEVEN (7) tickets - ONE for themselves and SIX (6) to share with their guests. Graduates must be registered to participate in Commencement exercises in order to claim their tickets. The link to claim tickets will go live at 9:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday, April 20. The deadline to create your account and claim tickets is Sunday, May 9 at 6:00 p.m.
Applying for Graduation
Spring/May 2021 Graduation Application
- Available – January 19, 2021
- Deadline – March 12, 2021
- Register online: http://registrar.wvu.edu/degree-certification-diplomas/graduation
- Students must apply during the term they intend to graduate.
Doctoral students are asked to select his/her committee members from a dropdown box. Note: If a committee member is not listed, the student should choose any name (does not matter who) from the list. The application will be changed administratively to reflect the correct committee when the application is approved by this office. (For added assurance, please notify Joe Andria of any corrections that need made to the list of your committee members.)
Certificate-seeking students must apply online as well.
Previous graduation applicants who have applied for previous graduation cycles (e.g. August 2020, December 2020, etc.) must reapply and resubmit the online graduation application for May 2021. Previous graduation applications are no longer valid!
Additional Steps for Graduate Students
ETD (Electronic Thesis and Dissertation) Summer Submission
- Deadline: 5 p.m., Friday, April 30, 2021
- ETD Website
- For detailed instructions on submission, view the ETD Submission Information Packet.
- Students are required to successfully defend their thesis or dissertation before submitting to the university library.
- If your degree program requires submission of an Electronic Thesis or Dissertation, you must submit by the deadline above to be approved for May 2021 graduation/degree conferral. Students who submit after the deadline will be deleted from the May 2021 graduation list and must reapply for August 2021 graduation.
Shuttle Sheet Request Form Deadline
- 2-3 weeks before a dissertation/thesis defense
- For non-thesis MS students, please submit as soon as possible.
- Shuttle Sheet Request Form & Guidelines
If you have questions about the successful completion of your academic requirements for graduation, or if you have concerns regarding your eligibility to walk in commencement exercises, please contact your School of Public Health academic advisor immediately. We would be happy to review your transcripts with you to make sure you have completed all requirements toward graduation.
Getting Your Diploma
Diplomas will be mailed after all grades are finalized and certified by the WVU Office of the Registrar. Students who have no financial holds on their accounts will receive email notification to their MIX account when their diploma has shipped. Tracking numbers will not be available. Shipping times may vary. Diplomas being shipped within the United States typically takes around 7-10 business days. Those being shipped internationally can take an additional 6-8 weeks due to the customs process of some countries.
Students who wish to pick up their diploma need to enter the Registrar’s address on the graduation application:
Office of the University Registrar
PO Box 6878
Morgantown, WV 26506
Other Things to Consider
- Check for any outstanding fees and holds (unpaid parking tickets, overdue library books, etc.). Students will not be awarded their diploma if there are any unpaid fees. Go to portal.wvu.edu to check for holds.
- Check your Mountie Bounty balance. If you still have a balance 125 days after you graduate, you will be charged a $10 account processing fee. To avoid this, check your balance and either spend those funds or request a refund.
Watch a Commencement Q&A session with Senior Program Coordinator Leah Adkins. If you have additional questions about Commencement, please consult your academic adviser, Leah Adkins or the WVU Graduation website.
August and December 2021 Graduation Information
August and December Commencement will take place December 18, 2021. Details will be provided at a later date.