During the first full week of April each year, the American Public Health Association brings together communities across the United States to observe National Public Health Week as a time to recognize the contributions of public health and highlight issues that are important to improving our nation's health.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year all events will be held virtually. The West Virginia University School of Public Health invites everyone to join us online April 6-12 as we share important information about initiatives within the School and around the world related to the APHA daily themes – mental health, maternal and child health, violence prevention, environmental health, education, healthy housing and economics. All WVU faculty, staff and students are encouraged to participate, whether it’s taking part in the national online forums to sharing your insights or resharing content on social media – there are multiple ways to get involved and contribute to the collective conversation.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
All events are online, free and open to the public.
- Billion Steps Challenge
- Monday, April 6 – Sunday, April 12
- Students, faculty, staff and friends are encouraged to join our WVU School of Public Health team and support APHA's goal of logging more than a billion steps by the end of National Public Health Week. To join, create an account on the Walker Tracker app or website. Once you have a profile, type “WVU” in the search box and select our “WVU School of Public Health” team. Click the button to join our team, and get to stepping!
- Forum: “NPHW @ 25: The Future of Public Health is Now”
- Monday, April 6 | 1-3 p.m. | NPHW.org
- Join APHA and public health leaders from across the country in this conversation about public health’s strides in the last 25 years, the challenges of eliminating health disparities and the imperative to create a more just world. RSVP to watch the livestream on NPHW.org. A recording of the webinar will be available after the event.
- Twitter Chat
- Wednesday, April 8 | 2-3 p.m. | Twitter @NPHW
- We'll chat about all things public health, celebrate everything public health has accomplished and talk about where the movement is going. Make sure you follow @NPHW on Twitter and use #NPHWChat. To register your participation, visit https://www.twtvite.com/yleqzpythc.
- Student Day: Get Involved
- Thursday, April 9 | 5 p.m. | NPHW.org
- For students about to graduate into an uncertain future, now's a great time to hear from early- and mid-career professionals and ask them "How'd you get that job?" Join APHA and students from Howard University for a live, interactive conversation: "How to Get Hired After Graduation!" RSVP for the conversation, and plan to watch the event on NPHW.org.