Caterina DeFazio, 3rd Year Ph.D. Candidate in Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Future Career Goals: As of right now, I am not sure. I want my work to help women, whether that be through working at a non-profit, as a professor, etc.
- Fun Fact: This past summer I lived in Milan, and over the next three years I am learning Italian to get dual citizenship.
Immediate Past President
Brenna Kirk, 3rd Year Ph.D. Candidate in Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Future Career Goals: Academic researcher/professor
- Fun Fact: I enjoy watching/attending baseball games at any level--little league to MLB.
Mohini Chatterji, 2nd Year Ph.D. Student in Epidemiology
- Future Career Goals: Work as an epidemiologist for the county/state health department.
- Fun Fact: I have a 3-month-old baby girl named Samaira and two guinea pigs, Popcorn and Pancake.
Vice President of Scholarship
Thomas Drvar, 2nd Year Ph.D. Student in Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Future Career Goals: My future goal is to become a faculty member at a research institution where I can teach and complete research that will hopefully create a positive impact in the field of public health.
- Fun Fact: I run an Instagram account that features stickers and magnets of faculty member Dilip Chandran. The stickers have been featured around the world. Give it a follow: myfrienddilipwv.
Vice President of Outreach
John Herczyk, 3rd Year Ph.D. Student in Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Future Career Goals: My profession as a program manager in the Office of Health Affairs has influenced my interest in implementing evidence-based technologies to address health disparities among rural communities. A future career goal is to continue improving health outcomes in West Virginia by partnering with and positively transforming communities.
Vice President of Community Service
Hannah Layman, 2nd Year Ph.D. Student in Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Future Career Goals: Teaching/research professor
- Fun Fact: I have a Boston Terrier named Eberlee.
Vice President of Social Engagement
Elise Candreva, Junior in the B.S. in Public Health Program
- Future Career Goals: My future career goals are to work at a nonprofit and travel the world in order to improve the health of those in need.
- Fun Fact: I once went swimming with sharks in Florida.
Vice President of Communications
Haley Cothern, Senior in the B.S. in Health Services and Management Leadership Program
- Future Career Goals: As a future healthcare administrator, I want to improve the quality of patient care whether that be in a hospital, long-term care facility or other public health setting.
- Fun Fact: I've snorkeled at the Great Barrier Reef.
Secretary and Treasurer
Madelin Gardner, 2nd Year Ph.D. Student in Epidemiology
- Future Career Goals: My career goals are to work in industry, ideally for FDA or a biotech company, because I want to utilize my biomedical engineering degree as well as my Ph.D. in Epidemiology.
- Fun Fact: I was an All-American pole vaulter here at WVU during undergrad.
Viśakha Turner, 1st Year Student in the Master of Public Health in Epidemiology and Geography Programs
- Future Career Goals: I grew up on a farm in the northern panhandle of West Virginia. Often, my experience in academia felt like a departure from the way I grew up. It wasn’t until my senior year of undergraduate studies at WVU that I found the relationship between public health, food and farming. The academic realm of food, the earth and its people is so interesting! I hope to provide support to the food system in West Virginia, utilizing my working knowledge and harnessing academic training in epidemiology and geography.
- Fun Fact: I am a lifelong vegetarian!
Elizabeth Claydon, Assistant Professor
- Education: I have a Ph.D. in Social and Behavioral Sciences, an M.S. in Chronic Disease Epidemiology and an MPH in Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Career Goals: Continue to research the areas I love, and teach and mentor students!
- Fun Fact:I love Formula 1 racing and change teams based on my favorite drivers, so I am constantly updating team hats.